Do You Know Your Suburb
Do you know the history of your suburb?
Bentley's Hill, a rise opposite the Boomerang Hotel at the corner of Walpole Street and Albany Highway, was the site for a convict camp during the building of Albany Road in the 1870s.
John Bentley was the overseer of the convict group.
It is also said that a man named Bentley (probably the same man) took his life on this hill.
In 1938 when the Nomenclature Committee Advisory Committee asked the Canning Road Board to suggest a name for the locality, Radium Park was offered but rejected.
The accepted name of Bentley Park was based on information from local early settler families. Park was deleted in 1956.
The suburb is the oldest in the municipality with many long-time residents. Many historical buildings and sites are located within Cannington.
It is interesting to note that when the railway was laid between Perth and Armadale, Cannington was the name of the local railway station.
The secondary accompanying evolution was the market gardens and farming along the rich alluvial river flats that supported the growing settlement.
The growth of the suburb and its importance today as a Regional Centre can be seen in the development of the City Centre and the location of the Council Administration and Civic Chambers.
The area, part of a dairy and rural district, was transferred from the Jandakot Road District to the Canning Road District on 20 July, 1923.
It is believed the name came from the property of William Nicholson, one of the first settlers in the area, who owned a 1000 acre property named Canning Vale.
He was a member of the Jandakot Road District and Nicholson Rd was named after him.
The State Government announced plans for the Canning Vale Industrial estate in 1972. A number of homes and local rural industries were affected by the proposal.
The residential area evolved from the mid to late 80s with the development of a number of housing estates.
It grew from mainly rural land of 1 and 2 hectare lots to new subdivisions with block sizes of 650sqms to 700sqms. The residential estates set benchmarks for estate development across the metropolitan area.
The City of Canning developed a large tract of land in Canning Vale, resulting in the Caladenia Grove Estate.
Shearnstead was the name proposed by the Shire for this new subdivision in 1965, in honour of Mr Farnham Shearn the original grantee of Canning Location 314.
However developers used the name Ferndale and this was adopted by the Shire in September 1965.
In 1971, Plunkett Homes offered a pre-release of land in their new subdivision within Ferndale.
When the area was being subdivided in the 60s, the Shire proposed the name of Willetton. However developers, Realty Development Corporation (RDC) wanted the name Clovercrest Estate.
Lynwood was finally agreed upon and the amendment approved on 31 December 1965.
Extensive advertising was taken out by RDC selling Lynwood as "where gracious living begins" and the suburb was officially opened by Premier, Hon David Brand, in October 1965.It was planned to develop 1500 homes by 1972 with an expected population of more than 5,000.
In the 70s local residents in Lynwood and Ferndale objected to the development of "group housing" being undertaken by RDC.
The Progress Association likened the possible social problems of high-density "cluster" housing to those in high-rise developments.
In the 80s the area began to change, with an increase in older groups and a decline in the young. Most of the land use is single residential.
Originally known as Lynwood, the area was developed under the estate name of Parkwood. Officially re-named in the 90s, it was indicative of the modern development occurring from 1976 – 1986.
The area is predominantly single housing with pockets of medium density housing.
Originally known as Woodlupine, residents sought a name change following the horrific murder of a local girl, Fairy Compton, on 13 May, 1911.
The suburb became known as Queens Park, after Queen Alexandra, on 16 April 1912.
The first local government municipality was formed under this name and was referred to in the early 1900s as the "baby among the metropolitan municipalities".
With emphasis on market gardens and nurseries it "promised to become one of the horticultural adjuncts to the City (referring to Perth), and to afford the man tired of business care and worry, the opportunity to recuperate amidst pleasant surroundings."
Over recent times, Queens Park has seen a quiet revival and with the advent of the revitalisation of the Maniana Precinct, the area shows promise of regaining its position as a local showcase.
The State Housing Commission suburb was given its name by the then Minister for Housing, the Hon H Graham, in 1954.
The Maniana Progress Association was very strong and their efforts included the transportation of a former RAAF building from Guildford to a site granted by the Housing Commission on the corner of George St. The building was used as a picture theatre and social hall.
The Association also carried out a tree planting program in the area.
By 1959 it contained 300 houses and for many years was a thriving and energetic community.
However, the area became badly run-down and in 1977 the Canning Town Council made representation to the Department of Social Security pinpointing social and environmental problems. Thanks to the joint venture of the Department of Housing, Landstart, City of Canning and developers Peet & Co, it is now the site of the new Quattro development.
It is not certain where the name originated from, however it is obvious that it comes from the proximity of the settlement to the river. In the early days parts of Riverton were known as Muddy Reach and Burt's Paddock.
In 1914 Riverton Estate Company advertised the whole of Riverton as subdivided lots Open to returned soldiers after the WWI, most farming efforts failed miserably - There were no services so few lots were taken up.
From the early Riverton Estate came a number of other localities, such as Rossmoyne, Shelley and Willetton.
This small suburb tucked into the gentle curve of the Canning River was officially named Rossmoyne in August 1959, changing from West Riverton.
However the name had been used for a road within the area by the Webb family. In the 40s half an acre could be bought for fifty pounds in what is now considered to be Perth's garden suburb.
Much of the area, developed from the late 60s to the mid 70s, is primarily single residential. Underground power, which has assisted in improving the local streetscape, is a feature of the suburb.
When Leach Highway divided the Riverton Estate in the 70s the area alongside the Canning River was renamed Shelley. The suburb evolved following the reclamation of the river foreshore for development.
A land sale in the "Shelley Beach Estate" in 1938 advertised blocks suitable for fruit, dairying and market gardening from ten pounds an acre.
The tranquil riverfront suburb of Shelley satisfies a range of markets.
Homes on the riverfront, in Rossmoyne and Shelley, rival those of Perth's most affluent suburbs, whilst closer to Leach Highway are homes that suit the average family.
Medium density codings resulted in a unit construction boom in parts of Shelley in the 80s, but this slowed when zoning changes were introduced in 1994.While parts of the suburb still have medium density codings, development must meet strict Council design guidelines.
In 1960 landowners, who held blocks of river swamp, agreed to a reclamation scheme initiated, financed and undertaken by the Shire of Canning.
The highly ambitious scheme saw the reclamation of 1.5 miles of foreshore between Corbel St and Beatrice Ave, plus the resumption of 36 acres of privately owned land. The Shire undertook the filling, road construction and resurvey, providing access to 80 river frontage lots between Zenith St and Fifth Ave.
It also resulted in the beautiful Shelley Foreshore Reserve, one of the City's most picturesque parks.
The dredge "Throsby" cut a new channel along the river, removing 400,000 cubic yards of river bed to fill the low-lying sections.
The reclamation scheme transformed the area into highly desirable residential sites. Blocks on the river front, that fetched over twelve thousand pounds in 1971, are now worth well over a million dollars.
Part of the 5320 acres granted in 1842 to Samuel Bickley as Canning Location 2, it was also part of the land acquired by James McDermott in 1930.
In 1956 Canning Road Board constructed four miles of new roads in the area now known as St James, on behalf of the State Housing Commission.
The State Housing Commission built many homes in the area, which was named after a well-known Park in London. Streets were named after Prime Ministers and Members of Parliament.
The name was used by the Railway Department for the siding established in 1898.
A move was made by local residents in 1908 to rename the suburb Canterbury, however this was not successful.
Around 1912 residents formed the Welshpool Mechanics Institute and to improve the local social life, a hall was built on Welshpool Road.
The hall was not only a very popular place over the years, but also housed the first school.
In the 20s industry began to move into the suburb and at the outbreak of WWII 70 acres were acquired in Welshpool for the establishment of factories that supported the war effort.
Following the war, the State Government took over the land and offered low rentals to encourage further industrialisation.
A number of boundary adjustments occurred and in 1960 plans were announced for the Kewdale Marshalling Yards.
Canning retains a portion of this now industrial suburb.
Another suburb that evolved from the Riverton Estate, Willetton derived its name from Henry Willett, who was assigned part of the original Canning Location 21.
Formerly small rural allotments, it was developed as a strong family suburb. In November 1964, Council proposed the name Burtsville/Burtsdale after early landowner, Septimus Burt.
Willetton was proposed for the adjoining postal district and in late 1965, the Shire suggested Lynwood replace Willetton and Willetton replace Burtsville.
This was officially approved on 31 December 1965.
In September 1970 a 686 acre development within Willetton was released by the Dillingham Division of Silverton Transport and Development Underwriting The investment, in excess of $50M, was one of the largest land and home displays of its type in Australia.
It was to be named Burren-dah as the company believed Willetton was associated with light industry, but the name was not allowed.
In the late 70s, Canning Council and land-owners were involved in a $2M co-ordinating development project of 45 hectares in Apsley-Collins Roads. This resulted in a large number of residential lots, sites for a school, community centre, small shopping centre and public open space.
The State Housing Commission released 32 blocks in 1982 with 18 sold immediately. In 1983 the State Government offered a $1000 discount to people purchasing SHC blocks and building on them within six months.
Five hundred and fifty acres of Canning Location 1 was granted to Peter Parker Smith in November 1829. Smith sold this land to George Stedman Watts in 1852 for one hundred and twenty pounds.
In 1897 the land was developed and sold as small garden lots by William Britnall and Richard Holmes.
The land remained rural until the State Housing Commission resumed some of the land in 1954 for development. TM Burke Pty Ltd enlarged the suburb when it subdivided some adjoining land.
Originally known as Beeloo, the suburb was re-named in 1958 following a petition by local residents. It was named after early resident and the first Mayor of the Queens Park Municipality, George Wilson.
Between 1959 and 1964 over 600 homes were built in Wilson.
Many of the roads have been named after early settlers and soldiers who enlisted and lost their lives overseas.