The City’s focus is to work cooperatively with food business operators to achieve the best possible food safety outcomes.

The following advice and information is intended to assist the food business industry, which is an important sector of our business community.

More information can be found using the links below: 


Buying or Transferring a Food Business

If you are looking to buy an existing registered food business, the City recommends you obtain a current Inspection Report which will provide you with details on any outstanding non-compliances with the Food Act 2008. To request an inspection from the City, complete the Health Orders and Requisitions Form and email it here.


Starting a New Food Business

You may need a planning approval for your new food business. You can contact the City’s Planning Officers on 1300 422 664 or via email.  The officer can check the zoning details and can advise if planning approval is required.

New fit outs of food businesses require a building permit to ensure the structural adequacy of the building, fixtures, fittings. The City's Building Services can be contacted on 1300 422 664 or via email.

Registration is also required under the Food Act 2008 prior to fit out of the business. Registration involves an assessment of your proposed food business for compliance with the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code. Please see the City’s Food Premises Guideline or to lodge for registration, use the Food Business Notification Form.


Annual Inspection Fees

The City carries out food safety assessments of each business annually at a set frequency based on the risk of the business. The risk is set using an existing criteria developed by the Department of Health. Information on the fees the City charges to cover the full cost of its inspection program are detailed below;

High risk

Medium Risk

Low risk

Family Day Care


Food Safety Standards 

Food safety standards place obligations on Australian food businesses to produce food that is safe and suitable to eat. A food business is any business or activity that involves the handling of any type of food for sale or the sale of food in Australia.  The standards, which also contain health and hygiene obligations for food handlers, aim to lower the incidence of food-borne illness. Find the standards here.


Complete Food Safety Training

All food handlers are also encouraged to complete our free online food safety training I’m Alert on Under Standard 3.2.2 Food Safety Practices, the owners of food businesses are responsible for making sure people who handle food or food contact surfaces in their business, and the people who supervise this work, have the skills and knowledge they need to handle food safely. The only exception to this requirement is for charitable or community fundraising events, which sell food that is not potentially hazardous or that will be properly cooked and then eaten straightaway.

The skills and knowledge requirement was included in the standard to ensure that staff handle food correctly and that it remains safe to eat.Having adequate skills and knowledge is a legal requirement, and further advice can be found here. 


Canning Vale Markets Temporary Food Stalls

Obtain a copy of the application pack and information sheets here:

Application Pack

Canning Vale Markets Payment Renewal Form


Once you have thoroughly read the application pack and FAQ sheet, if you still have further questions, contact the City on 1300 422 664 or send an email

Once your application form is completed and each section is filled out submit the form, with the relevant payment to the City for processing. In addition to obtaining approval from the City you will also need to obtain approval from the market operator.

The Canning Vale Markets are managed by Market City under the Perth Market Authority  Please contact Market City at 9456 9200 or via Mail Point 1, 280 Bannister Road, Canning Vale for further information regarding the fees they charge and how to obtain permission to hire a trading bay.


Food Stall Operators

The City has a new quick and easy annual approval process for temporary food stall holders. If you intend trading more than once within a one year period, the City now offers food stall operators annual permits valid for 12 months for a fee of $60.   


To apply for an annual temporary food stall permit, please complete the Temporary food Stall Application 




There is also information available in Chinese, please use the links below:


WA Plastic Bag Ban – Includes food businesses

The ban applies to all retailers - defined as any person who sells goods in trade or commerce. This includes supermarkets, department stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, fast food outlets, markets, mine catering companies, charity shops... and many other businesses.


The WA plastic bag ban came into effect on 1 July 2018. The ban affects lightweight plastic bags (including biodegradable, degradable or compostable) with handles and a thickness of 35 microns or less. The ban is effective on 1 July with a six month transition period for retailers. For more information and FAQ's on the State’s bag ban, please visit The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.


To assist retailers to transition to the ban and find alternatives for customers, the state government has partnered with National Retail Association (NRA) to deliver a retailer-focused education campaign. For more information on upcoming workshops and available resources visit the WA Bag Ban Retailer Engagement Program.


For information on what the City is doing to support the ban visit Choose2Reuse.


Also you can add these links for the information available in Chinese:

WA Plastic Bag Ban Key Facts for Businesses – Chinese Simplified

WA Plastic Bag Ban Key Facts for Businesses – Chinese Traditional