George Wilson

Ever wondered how the suburb Wilson got its name? It was named after George Wilson, who had one of the longest public service records in the City. This is the site of his second home, where he was established as a pioneer horticulturalist of the district. George went on to become Mayor of Queens Park Municipal Council, Chairman Canning District Roads Board and President of the Canning Agricultural and Horticultural Society for 52 years. 

The man of firsts - George Wilson was a trailblazer in Canning owning the first car in the district. He drove a Ford in 1911, and had one of only two telephones in 1922. Wilson was also known for his impatience. If horse drawn cars, pedestrians or vehicles blocked his way, he would call out to his son in the back of the car to “Blow that bloody bugle” (Buchannan and Dalais, 2014 p72).

Quick Facts

  • 1901 - Wilson and Johns had a nursery extending from Wharf Street to Manning Road
  • 1903 – Wilson joined the Roads Board (City of Canning)
  • 1907 – Mayor for 29 years
  •  Part of the Canning Agricultural Society for 52 years
  • Address -  1303 Albany Highway, Cannington
Images courtesy of Local History Collection and Etienne Brits.

Don Wilson

Don Wilson was one of the sons of George Wilson, after whom the suburb of Wilson is named. Don followed in his father's footsteps as a horticulturalist. His house on the corner of Manning Road and Albany Highway was on the edge of a property that stretched back to what is now Fleming Avenue. Between 1960 and 1976 Don presented ABC TV’s first gardening programme “Greenfingers” from the greenhouses in his backyard.  The shows were a family affair with his wife and daughters helping out with props to make the show a success.

Address - 1283 Albany Highway, Cannington

Images courtesy of Local History Collection and Etienne Brits.
extraMile by Integranet