August 2020 - Willetton Skate Plaza Final Concept
A new, integrated skate plaza that is suitable for pedestrians, skateboarders and scooters and bike riders is coming to Willetton in June 2021.
Following community consultation with skateboarders, BMXers, in line skaters, scooter and bike riders and parents on an initial concept, a final design for the new Willetton Skate Plaza features a combination of street inspired skate obstacles, paved surfaces and landscaping.
The final design includes:
- street skate objects e.g. stairs, hand rails, curbs and street banks
- a series of garden beds, trees and outdoor furniture
- the addition of a long circular flat rail to complement existing skate elements
- smaller garden bed planters in the middle of the park to improve flow and safety
- a bigger garden bed at the northern entry point to act as a barrier for pedestrian and skate plaza users safety
- extra space for scooter and BMX riders to use to turn around safely.
The skate plaza is part of the Council approved Burrendah Park Landscape Master Plan for the Willetton Sports Precinct and it will replace the existing Willetton Skate Park, which will be removed in February 2021 to allow for the upgrade of Burrendah Boulevard and a new roundabout into the Willetton Stadium’s southern car park. These works are part of the City’s initiatives to improve pedestrian safety within the Precinct and will be part funded by the Australian Government’s Black Spot Program. It will deliver wider footpaths, create designated pedestrian crossing points, build a cycle path and increase street lighting along Burrendah Boulevard.
View skate plaza FAQs here.
July 2020 - Public art expression of interest
We are seeking expression of interest from professional artists or artist groups to create new pieces of public art in Willetton Sports Precinct.
Artwork will feature on a mural, streetscape paving, artistic elements in a Community Piazza and skateboard safety screens in a street style skate plaza.
Submissions are now open and close on 14 August. Click here to find out more and download the expression of interest documents.