A Merry Greener Christmas (PDF 620KB) – a guide to having a more sustainable Christmas and holiday season.
At this time of year we come together, enjoy family and friends, and celebrate the holiday season in our own special way.
But one thing that is common, no matter how we choose to celebrate, is that Christmas is a time for MORE – for eating more, travelling more, drinking more and buying more than at any other time of the year.
This also means that the Christmas period has a high impact on the environment, and it highlights the economic inequality across the global community. However, there are many ways that we can celebrate the ‘silly season’ without making unsustainable choices.
The guide includes information on:
- re-using, reducing and recycling
- giving ‘green’ or ethical gifts
- reducing your environmental impact
- making your own gift
- thinking of others.
Please download the guide (PDF 620KB) for your reading pleasure.
eCard Gift Donations
The City of Canning has partnered with the Carbon Positive to support staff to help grow a beautiful future by offsetting personal vehicle or household greenhouse gas emissions with the City’s #carbonoff Program.
Carbon Positive has partnered with Australian artists to offer eCard Gift Donations, where you can give a general donation, offset your recipients’ household emissions or give the gift of trees to be planted in your recipient's honour.
The City of Canning has partnered with six charities or organisations to support staff to regularly donate to as a way to give back to the community.
The charities we support are:
- Waalitj Foundation – aiming to improve the quality of life for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
- Dogs' Refuge Home – helping to rescue and re-home unwanted and neglected dogs.
- Camp Quality Australia – helps change the cancer story for kids and their families: in hospital, at home, at school, and away from it all.
- Senses Australia – providing disability support services to people of all ages throughout Western Australia.
- St. Bartholomew's House – assisting the homeless of today to rebuild their lives, and act to prevent the homelessness of tomorrow.
- Zonta House Refuge Association – supporting women who have experienced, or are at risk of experiencing family and domestic violence.
Join us in giving back by supporting one of these charities this holiday season!