Less waste goes to landfill if compostable, recyclable and reusable items are separated and managed properly. Low waste events also reduce the amount of harmful greenhouse gas emissions being released into our environment.
Tips to ensure responsible management and disposal of waste include:
- Ensure there are adequate recycling and general waste bins around your event. The City of Canning can hire out event bins on request.
- If significant volumes of food waste are being created, consider composting options. The City can provide advice to help you to manage this waste stream.
- Clearly label bins indicating which ones can be used for compostable / organic waste, general waste and recyclable waste.
- Source volunteers or staff to actively monitor bin stations and help event patrons properly separate waste.
- Make sure the waste contractor who is responsible for disposal of your event waste is aware of your waste disposal requirements.
- Collect any litter as soon as possible to prevent windblown litter escaping the event site.