Work experience is an important part of becoming workplace-ready, building useful skills that cannot be taught in the classroom.
The City of Canning prides itself on providing the opportunity for students residing in schools within the City’s boundaries to participate in work experience placements or enter traineeship or apprenticeship programs.
The City constantly receives expressions of interest for work placements and will accommodate where possible. Expression of interest applications can be submitted though the City’s vacancies page located here.
Applicants will be required to provide the following information on their application:
- Whether they live in or attend a school within the City of Canning;
- Information about the course of study they are currently undertaking;
- School year level currently enrolled in;
- Area of interest:
- Riverton and Cannington Leisureplex;
- Learning Communities;
- Parks and Environment;
- Care Services;
- Community Services; or
- Disability and Youth Services.
- The type of workplace you are seeking such as one week or a block period;
- Proposed dates for work experience placement;
- Contact details for your work experience coordinator; and
- A resume or covering letter outlining why they would like to complete work experience with the City of Canning.
Traineeships and apprenticeships
Traineeships and apprenticeships are the best way to get on-the-job training and qualifications at the same time, placing you a step ahead of the rest.
The City offers a range of 12-month traineeships within administration areas. In addition, three year and four year apprenticeships are offered in outdoor work areas and engineering workshops.
Trainees and apprentices are expected to complete course work aligned to their qualification whilst also completing on-the-job tasks and activities.
Standard recruitment advertising and application processes apply to those interested in these entry level career opportunities.