The City’s focus is to work with food business operators to achieve the best possible food safety outcomes.

The following advice and information is intended to assist the food business industry, which is an important sector of our business community.

More information can be found using the links below: 

Complete food safety training

All food handlers are also encouraged to complete our free online food safety training FoodSafe®

You can access the FoodSafe® Online course free of charge from the website link below. The link takes you to the Environmental Health Australia website. You will need to register your food business details to log in to the external website and purchase the training using the unique code in the “Redeem Online Voucher” section, type FSCANNI350.
To access the training click here.

Any queries, please contact Environmental Health Services by submitting an online enquiry.

Under Standard 3.2.2 Food Safety Practices, the owners of food businesses are responsible for making sure people who handle food or food contact surfaces in their business, and the people who supervise this work, have the skills and knowledge they need to ensure food safety and hygiene. Having adequate skills and knowledge is a legal requirement, and further advice can be found here. 

Buying or transferring a food business

If you are looking to buy an existing registered food business, the City recommends you obtain a current Inspection Report which will provide you with details on any outstanding non-compliances with the Food Act 2008. Permission will need to be sought from the current owner to release inspection reports. The owners consent form will need to be completed by the current owner and submitted with your settlement enquiry application. 
To request a settlement enquiry, complete the online settlement enquiry form.

Starting a new food business

If you think you need a planning approval for your new food business, you’ll need to contact the City’s Planning Officer by submitting an online general planning enquiry. The officer will check the zoning details and can advise if planning approval is required.

New fit outs of food businesses require a building permit to ensure the structural adequacy of the building, fixtures, fittings. If you think you need a building permit, contact a Building Surveyor at the City on 1300 422 664 or by submitting an online enquiry

Registration is also required under the Food Act 2008 prior to fit out of the business. Registration involves an assessment of your proposed food business for compliance with the Australian Food Safety Standards. Please see the City’s Food Premises Guideline or to lodge for registration, use the Food Business Notification Form

Annual inspection fees

The City carries out food safety assessments of each business annually at a set frequency based on the risk of the business. The risk is set using an existing criteria developed by the Department of Health WA. Information on the fees the City charges to cover Registrations and the full cost of its inspection program are detailed below;

Food safety standards 

Food safety standards place obligations on Australian food businesses to produce food that is safe and suitable to eat. A food business is any business or activity that involves the handling of any type of food for sale or the sale of food in Australia.  The standards, which also contain health and hygiene obligations for food handlers, aim to lower the incidence of food-borne illness. Find the standards here

Canning Vale markets temporary food stalls

Obtain a copy of the application pack and information sheets here:

Once you have thoroughly read the application pack and FAQ sheet, if you still have further questions, contact the City by submitting an online food application enquiry

Once your application form is completed and each section is filled out submit the form, with the relevant payment to the City for processing. In addition to obtaining approval from the City you will also need to obtain approval from the market operator.

The Canning Vale Markets are managed by Market City under the Perth Market Authority  Please contact Market City at 9456 9200 or via Mail Point 1, 280 Bannister Road, Canning Vale for further information regarding the fees they charge and how to obtain permission to hire a trading bay.

Food stall operators

The City has a new quick and easy annual approval process for temporary food stall holders. If you intend trading more than once within a one year period, the City now offers food stall operators annual permits valid until 30 June each financial year. Please see the new Simplified Trading Partnership Permit information here.    

To apply for an annual temporary food stall permit, please complete the Temporary Food Stall/Mobile Food Vehicle Application.

There is also information available in Chinese:

WA plastic bag ban – includes food businesses

The ban applies to all retailers - defined as any person who sells goods in trade or commerce. This includes supermarkets, department stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, fast food outlets, markets, mine catering companies, charity shops... and many other businesses.

The WA plastic bag ban came into effect on 1 July 2018. The ban affects lightweight plastic bags (including biodegradable, degradable or compostable) with handles and a thickness of 35 microns or less. The ban is effective on 1 July with a six month transition period for retailers. For more information and FAQ's on the State’s bag ban, please visit The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.

To assist retailers to transition to the ban and find alternatives for customers, the state government has partnered with National Retail Association (NRA) to deliver a retailer-focused education campaign. For more information on upcoming workshops and available resources visit the WA Bag Ban Retailer Engagement Program.

For information on what the City is doing to support the ban visit Choose2Reuse.

Also you can add these links for the information available in Chinese:

extraMile by Integranet