Alarms are important security devices but can cause excess noise if accidentally triggered. Please ensure:
- You are familiar with your alarm system and can operate it correctly.
- the alarm has been installed properly
- The alarm is in a location that minimises the possibility of damage or interference.
- The length of the siren is limited to a maximum of 10 minutes.
- The sound level of an external siren is limited to 90 dB(A), three metres from the perimeter of the building.
- The alarm is kept in good working order and serviced at least once a year.
- Windows/doors are properly closed before activating the alarm and pets are outside.
- Trees, shrubs and branches are well away from windows/doors.
WA Police have the power to silence audible alarms if it has been causing unreasonable noise for at least 30 minutes on a regular basis (associated with false alarms). Find out more about unreasonable noise from security alarms