Reporting of certain noise related issues. 


  • The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 (the Regulations) set out specific ‘assigned noise’ levels for residential, commercial and industrial properties.
  • These levels vary subject to the time of day.
  • Living in residential areas means that we often share noise with our neighbours.
  • Noise is described as un-wanted sound, of which there could be many sources within a residential area that can cause a disturbance.
  • There are steps you can take to reduce unwanted noise in your neighbourhood.
  • If you believe an ongoing noise issue is unreasonable, try speaking with your neighbour first to see if the matter can be easily resolved.
  • People are sometimes unaware that their activities are causing a problem.
  • For supporting information on resolving disputes with neighbours, click here 
  • If you find there is no improvement, you may wish to lodge a formal complaint with the City for investigation.

Procedure for reporting issue

The correct procedure for lodging a noise complaint is as follows:

  1. Identify and locate the noise source
  2. Keep a noise log to support your claims, with the times and dates of the noise incidents (log sheet available here)
  3. Lodge your complaint with the City below.

 Please note:

  • Noise investigations may take time and there is no set time frame for when the matter can be resolved.
  • Authorised Noise Officers must first conduct an investigation and collect sufficient evidence before any action can be taken, which will involve measuring the noise, and that measurement must be obtained from the premises that is receiving the noise (normally the complainant’s property).
  • It is also the case, that if the matter was to proceed to court, you would be required to provide a formal statement regarding the impact of the noise.

Examples of noise issues

Before you lodge your request please see the different types of noise information below.
  • Construction work is permitted to occur on building sites between the hours of 7AM to 7PM, on any day except Sundays and public holidays, without the need to comply with the Regulation’s ’assigned levels’.
  • In rare instances construction noise work may be permitted to occur outside of these times if a Noise Management Plan has been approved by the City.
Equipment used on residential premises
  • Any equipment requiring the constant presence of an operator is classified as ‘specified equipment’; this includes equipment such as power tools and lawn mowers.
  • Specified equipment must still be used in a reasonable manner, and is not permitted to be used for longer than 2-hours per day.
  • Noise from these types of equipment is permitted to be used during the hours of:​
    • Monday to Saturday, 7AM to 7PM
    • Sundays and public holidays, 9AM to 7PM
  • Musical Instruments — one non-amplified musical instrument may be used for 1-hour a day.
  • If you are planning a party, please follow these guide-lines to maintain good relations with your neighbours:
    • It is recommended that before hosting a party, you let your neighbours know the date and time the party will commence and end, and provide them with contact details in case the music gets too loud.
    • Turn the music down at 10pm and off at midnight.
    • Monitor the noise at the boundary during the party and try place amplified music inside rather than having it outside. Ask everyone to move inside the house after midnight.
    • Leave the clean up until the morning so the sound doesn’t disturb neighbours.
    • Ask your guests to leave quietly and say your goodbyes inside.
  • For other stereo use, it’s recommended that the volume be at a level that cannot be heard at the property boundary.
  • Keep the bass component of your stereo to a minimum.
  • Please note that fines can be issued if complaints are justified about regular noise emissions.
 Please note:
  • The City is limited in ability to deal with out of hours noise matters particularly if they are associated with behavioural noise or involve alcohol and other drug use.
  • In such a situation it is best to contact the Police as the City does not afford powers to Environmental Health Officers to deal with anti-social behaviour, and Police are best equipped to deal with after-hours noise and gatherings.
  • When stereo / party noise is outside of business hours (evenings/ night time) / linked to antisocial behaviours please call police on 131444.
For example - air-conditioners and swimming pool pumps:
  • Take care if you are thinking of installing an air-conditioner, swimming pool pump, traffic gate or any other piece of mechanical equipment.
  • It is important to ensure that the equipment selected and location to be installed is suitable so as not to create unreasonable noise.
  • If a neighbour has mechanical equipment that has started to sound louder than usual or changed times of operation then you are encouraged to speak with your neighbour first as they may not be aware of the changes.
  • Servicing / maintenance of existing equipment may resolve the matter, or negotiating the times of operation for pumps may be an easier and quicker way to come to a resolution with your neighbour. 
  • See tips on talking with neighbours here.
Alarms are important security devices but can cause excess noise if accidentally triggered. Please ensure:
  • You are familiar with your alarm system and can operate it correctly.
  • the alarm has been installed properly
  • The alarm is in a location that minimises the possibility of damage or interference.
  • The length of the siren is limited to a maximum of 10 minutes.
  • The sound level of an external siren is limited to 90 dB(A), three metres from the perimeter of the building.
  • The alarm is kept in good working order and serviced at least once a year.
  • Windows/doors are properly closed before activating the alarm and pets are outside.
  • Trees, shrubs and branches are well away from windows/doors.
WA Police have the power to silence audible alarms if it has been causing unreasonable noise for at least 30 minutes on a regular basis (associated with false alarms). Find out more about unreasonable noise from security alarms.

Noise complaint procedure

  • The standard procedure is as follows (based on natural justice and procedural fairness):
  1. Request lodged online and log sheet is received by the City.
  2. Acknowledgement of receipt is confirmed to complainant and is referred to the case Environmental Health Officer (EHO)
  3. EHO contacts the noise maker to advise of the allegation.
  4. In most cases this will resolve the matter, but if not, the complainant needs to maintain additional noise log sheet and notify the case EHO.
  5. A written warning is issued to the noise maker. If the written warning doesn't resolve the matter, evidence in the form of sound level readings may need to be gathered by the EHO. Generally sound level readings are taken at the noise receiver’s location. You must be able to accommodate the EHO attending to take the readings inside your property/premises where the unreasonable noise is being experienced.
  6. If non-compliance is established a written direction is issued giving a specified timeframe to comply. If failure to comply enforcement action may be taken, which could involve:
    • Infringement Notice of $250 for the first of-fence and $500 for subsequent offenses
    • Seizure of noise emitting equipment (involves coordination with Police)
    • Issuing of a Noise Abatement Direction or Environmental Protection Notice with a maximum penalty of $25,000 for an individual and $62,000 for a body corporate.

Where to lodge

Depending on what type of noise you are experiencing, you will need to contact the correct organisation. Please see correct contacts below:
Noise Source Contact
  • Air-conditioners/mechanical equipment,
  • Construction, 
  • Musical equipment and stereos (during daytime),
  • Commercial and industrial premises,
  • Security alarms (during office hours)
City of Canning
Refer to 'Report an Issue' below.
  • Party/Stereo Noise (outside of normal office hours,
  • Alarms (outside of normal office hours),
  • Antisocial behaviour / gatherings
Phone: 131 444
Dogs Refer to Nuisance Animals information
Rail and Water Department of Transport
Phone: 08 6551 6000
Vehicles on Main Roads Main Roads Department
Phone: 138 138

Report an issue

  • To report a noise issue, click the correct option below to lodge (attaching a completed noise log sheet to the request) 
  • An officer will action within five (5) working days, including contacting you to clarify the nature of the complaint, check on any possible safety risks for City staff and explain the complaint process.
  • Your contact details are required when lodging this issue to ensure a proper investigation can be completed.
report construction noise
report mechanical noise
report music noise
report party noise
report residential noise
report alarm noise
extraMile by Integranet