Neighbourhood Watch is a great way to build connected and happy communities.
Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) is a community safety awareness program which aims to:
- Prevent crime by encouraging neighbours to recognise and report suspicious activity to the Police.
- Reduce theft from motor vehicles by raising awareness for residents to lock and remove valuables from their cars.
- Encourage people to make their homes less inviting to the incidence of opportunistic crime and protect their property.
It’s as simple as getting to know your neighbours and exchanging contact information. Neighbours are your most valuable security asset. They can keep an eye on your property and report any suspicious behaviour, fostering a sense of unity and safety.
A police officer on patrol may not know what is normal in your street and may not recognise a stranger in your yard. You and your neighbours are in the best position to notice when something unusual is happening in your area and report any suspicious or criminal activity to police.
How can I be part of Neighbourhood Watch?
Supporting NHW doesn’t mean having to sign up, volunteer, or spend hours of your time. It simply means:
- Getting to know your neighbours, start small. Wave, introduce yourself or offer help to your neighbours. We’ve created a Safer Neighbourhoods card to help get you started!
- Be aware and report suspicious behaviour and criminal activity to Police on 131 444.
- For non-emergency situations and to report suspicious behaviour, criminal activity or knowledge of a past or current crime call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit the Crimestoppers website
- Stay informed,
- Consider displaying Neighbourhood Watch stickers to help deter would-be thieves.
- The City has a number of resources to help improve personal safety and home security. Click here for more information on resources and related links.
How can I become an active Neighbourhood Watch Volunteer?
The City of Canning NHW Committee in conjunction with WA Police work to create welcoming, friendly, safe and secure neighbourhoods.
If you would like to become an active NHW Volunteer, please contact the NHW State Office on 9222 1513, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit the Neighbourhood Watch
Like to know more? Please contact the Safe Communities Team on 1300 422 664.
Neighbourhood Watch Annual Reports
Click on the links below to read the City of Canning Neighbourhood Watch Annual Reports.