In the event of an emergency, the City of Canning and the Local Emergency Management Committee has designated a number of welfare evacuation centres.

Welfare Evacuation Centres

Planning ahead can prevent and minimise loss to human life, wildlife, the environment and property. The City of Canning has strategic bodies and plans in place to safeguard our community and your welfare.

The Emergency Management Act 2005 appoints the Department for Child Protection Family Services (CPFS) as the support agency responsible for emergency accommodation and the decision to activate a welfare centre will be made by CPFS on the advice of the incident controller.

The facilities listed below have been nominated as potential welfare centres in an emergency. However, please refer to the City's website and Facebook page first to confirm which centre will be activated.

  • Cannington Leisureplex; Corner Wharf Road and Railway Parade
  • Riverton Leisureplex; Corner Riley Drive and High Road
  • Bentley Community Hall; Corner Nyamup Way and Hedley Street
  • Lynwood Wandarah Hall; Edgeware Street
Welfare Evacuation Centre Map

Welfare Centre

How can I receive emergency information?

If evacuation of an area is necessary, the City will notify residents of the evacuation centre location by radio, television, the City‘s website, social media and via the Department of Fire Emergency Services (DFES). Or, follow the link to the Local Emergency Plans webpage.

Welfare Centre

Pets in an emergency

The City of Canning has developed a Community Safety Trailer to help support residents and their pets in the event of a community evacuation. Although animals are not allowed inside Welfare Centres, owners who have no other options may bring their pets to the approved location adjoining the selected Welfare Centre in the event of a community evacuation.

Click here to read more about pets and emergency preparedness in the City of Canning.

extraMile by Integranet