In the event of an emergency, the City of Canning and the Local Emergency Management Committee has designated a number of welfare evacuation centres.

Planning ahead can prevent and minimise loss to human life, wildlife, the environment and property. The City of Canning has strategic bodies and plans in place to safeguard our community and your welfare.

The Emergency Management Act 2005 appoints the Department of Communities as the support agency responsible for emergency accommodation. The decision to activate a welfare evacuation centre will be on advice of the Incident Controller in consultation with the Department of Communities and the City of Canning.

Welfare Evacuation Centres

If you need to evacuate, first seek shelter with family or friends. The Department of Communities is responsible for the opening and management of an evacuation centre. Its location will depend on the nature and extent of the incident. Details of the nominated centre will be made available via radio, television, the City’s website, social media, Facebook page, and the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).

The facilities listed below have been nominated as potential welfare centres in an emergency:
  • Cannington Leisureplex; Corner Wharf Road and Railway Parade
  • Riverton Leisureplex; Corner Riley Drive and High Road
  • Bentley Community Hall; Corner Nyamup Way and Hedley Street
  • Lynwood Wandarah Hall; Edgeware Street.

How can I receive emergency information?

A critical part of managing an emergency is being able to communicate with our residents, so it is important that residents know how to receive alerts and updates immediately after an incident. Radio is considered the best communication tool to provide you with immediate information. Find your ABC radio frequency and listen to your ABC local radio station for emergency updates, advice and information. ABC radio will play emergency warnings at regular intervals until the emergency is over.

Tune into ABC local radio 720 or click here to find your ABC frequency. The City will also relay public information messages via its website and Facebook.

To view real time information and current alerts and warnings about fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, cyclones or hazardous material incidents, visit

Animals and emergencies

The welfare of animals can be an important factor for people in making decisions about their personal welfare, including evacuating a threatened property or seeking emergency shelter. If you need to evacuate, the most important thing you can do to protect your pets is to take them with you.
The City of Canning has developed a Community Safety Trailer to help support residents and their pets in the event of a community evacuation. Although animals are not allowed inside Welfare Centres, owners who have no other options may bring their pets to the approved location adjoining the selected Welfare Centre in the event of a community evacuation. Click here to download the City of Canning Pets in an Emergency brochure.
In addition, we also have agreements with other councils to assist with the provision of animal welfare during an emergency.

How to prepare your pet in an emergency

Just as we need to prepare our family and property in times of emergencies and natural disasters, we also need to prepare for the safety of our animals. As pets are reliant on owners for their safety in an emergency, it is essential you plan ahead and prepare for the safety and welfare of your pets, livestock or other farm animals well before a potential natural disaster affects your home or property.

For more information, download a copy of the City of Canning Pets in an Emergency brochure.

Useful links

Database register for micro chipped pets 24 hour hotline: 1800 025 461 or 1800 333 202. 
extraMile by Integranet