Severe storms are the most common natural hazard in Australia causing more damage than any other event. The following actions can help minimise the risk of damage to you and your property.
- Inspect your roof and clear gutters and down pipes.
- Trim tree branches near your home and hire a contractor to clear trees from power lines.
- Secure and tidy garden furniture, children’s toys, play equipment and other loose objects.
- Have an emergency kit on hand, including a battery operated radio, torch and spare batteries.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers handy.
During the storm
- Stay inside and shelter away from windows.
- Don’t use landlines phones during a storm (mobile phones are safe to use during a storm).
- Listen to the radio for storm updates.
- To find your local radio station, go to www.abc.net.au
- If outdoors, find safe shelter.
- Do not shelter under trees or metal structures.
- Ensure your pets are safe – never leave pets outside or tied up during a storm.
After the storm
- Check your house and property for damage.
- Be aware and stay clear of fallen power lines.
- Be careful of fallen trees and branches and damaged buildings.
- Check on neighbours if it is safe to do so.
- Listen to your radio for further weather information.
Check out this fun and informative video about Storm Safety in and around the home. Click the image to view the video