It is important to think of your car like a shop window. In this instance, if you can see any property left inside your car, then so can a thief.
The City of Canning recommends you:
- Take your valuables with you or keep them out of sight.
- Lock your car before you go.
- Leave knowing your car looks empty.
- Never leave keys in door locks or the ignition.
- Never hide keys anywhere on your car.
- Park in a secure and well-lit area – off the street, behind lockable gates or in a locked garage if possible.
The City of Canning has partnered with the Cities of Armadale, Belmont, Gosnells ,South Perth, Town of Victoria Park & Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale to develop and deliver the 'Gone is Less Than 60 seconds' program, which aims to raise community awareness of theft from motor vehicles within the Armadale and Cannington Police districts.
Marked vehicles displaying commonly stolen items are deployed to hotspot areas, shopping centres and community events to raise awareness of how visible items are and the short amount of time needed to steal them.
A series of video clips showing actual vehicle break-ins in less than 60 seconds have also been produced.
For further information about the initiative, please contact the City’s Safe Communities team or email firstname.lastname@example.org.