The City of Canning is on a journey to work with the community to transform the City’s average 'spaces' into lively 'places through place making - but we need your help!
Place making is one way that the City can work together with you to help achieve the aspirations in the Strategic Community Plan 2017-2027.
During April and May 2018 we engaged the community to get your feedback on how we could activate the City. You said you would like to see activation through festivals, popups, retail, food and public art. You also highlighted some of the challenges to activation which included that there was not enough information on what can or can’t be done, you were unsure where to start with place activation and didn’t know how to connect with your fellow residents.
We’ve taken this feedback on board, so here are some resources to inspire you and get you started.
INSPIRATION AND IDEAS
- Want to learn more about place making and activation? Visit the Project for Public Spaces website which is dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities.
- CoDesign Studio helps local governments, developers and communities to create neighbourhoods that people love and feel connected to. Check out their toolkit for some amazing ideas.
- Better Block Foundation educates, equips and empowers communities and their leaders to reshape and reactivate built environments to promote the growth of healthy and vibrant neighborhoods. Want to build a better block? Check out their website.
WORKING TOGETHER WITH THE CITY
Community Pop-Up Trailer
- The City has a Community Pop-Up Trailer available for community groups and not-for-profit organisations to use for free to activate your community. For more information click here.
- The Community Partnership Fund provides financial assistance to groups, individuals and organisations for initiatives which enrich the cultural, social, environmental and economic opportunities for the Canning community. For more information click here.
- Here is some information on approvals required if you want to have temporary food stalls at your event.
- The City is keen to celebrate and support arts, recreation, cultural heritage, events, festivals and sporting activities for the greater benefit of the community. The City runs various events throughout the year. If you want to know what the City is doing or would like to get involved, check out this page.
HOW TO CONNECT WITH OTHER COMMUNITY MEMBERS
Town Teams Movement
- The teams are formed by a local community and focus on a specific place or area. They include business people, residents and others interested in helping improve their local area. Inspired to connect with other community members and take action? Visit Town Teams website.
Street by Street
- Street by Street is a national project to turn streets into communities. Want to connect with your neighbours? Visit the Street by Street website for more information.
- Nextdoor is a private social network for your neighbourhood. It can help you stay informed about what’s going on in your neighbourhood—whether it’s finding a last-minute babysitter, planning a local event, or sharing safety tips. Visit their website to find out more.
ROSTRATA TOWN PROJECT - Town Team
- On 8 June 2018 community event which included pop-up stalls from local restaurants, a long table casual dining space, music, local performances, kids activities, an interactive engagement workshop and a few creative surprises. The community event was great way to connect with the people that make Rostrata Shopping Centre a unique and totally wonderful experience! The party was part of a public engagement program being facilitated by Spaced Out Placemakers and City of Canning to get to know the Rostrata community better and develop a Rostrata Place Action Plan. The Place Action Plan is a placemaking strategy to continue developing strong public spaces and bring together local residents and businesses.