Cannington and Riverton Leisureplex offer a wide range of employment opportunities
The work we do in the Leisure team impacts the community in a big way. If you want to be in a role where no day is the same, where you can benefit from flexible working arrangements, have access to health and well-being programs and carbon offset initiatives, and be part of awesome workplace culture, check us out in the video below.
We have a team of gym instructors, lifeguards, customer service assistants, bookings officers, swim instructors, sports umpires, activity instructors and others who work to bring you the services and facilities offered.
Apply now - see all current City of Canning vacancies here.
You may have the opportunity to explore other roles at our centres, including baby swimming teachers, coaches, administration officers and senior teachers (pool deck supervisors). We offer many opportunities for our team to grow and develop with us.
We offer our team varying shift times. This will allow you to balance work with school, university, another job, or family life. You can work as little as 2 hours per week or as many as 20-30 hours per week.
To be employed as a Swimming Teacher at the Canning Swim School, you will need a current swimming teacher qualification (AUSTSWIM
, Royal Life
or Swim Australia
) a valid Working With Children Check
and updated Resuscitation (CPR) certificate
Supervised Industry Training Prac Hours
If you are new to swimming teaching and you need to complete your supervised industry training prac hours, we can help you. We take prac teachers on each term to develop their skills and guide their learning as part of their Austswim qualification. We believe in fostering new teachers and building a strong future for the Learn to Swim industry.
To apply to complete your prac hours, email: email@example.com
This area encompasses the gym, group fitness classes and sports courts.
- Activity Instructors – We currently run a range of children’s activities such as dance, kindy gym and kindy sports, as well as coaching sessions in badminton, basketball, gymnastics and soccer. We look for instructors who are good with children and have experience in the activity being taught. It would be advantageous to have completed the Community Coaching General Principles course, or have accreditation through a sporting association. All staff working with children must hold a current Working With Children Check https://workingwithchildren.wa.gov.au/.
- Group Fitness Instructors – There are a range of classes offered including freestyle, aqua fitness and Les Mills classes. Instructors must hold a group fitness qualification and have a current first aid qualification, preferably registered with Fitness Australia. Some classes (such as Les Mills) require instructors to have completed training in that style and the latest released format.
- Gym Instructors – Must hold a Cert III Fitness and have a current first aid qualification. From time to time we take on students undertaking practicum and those showing initiative with people skills are often front runners when vacancies arise.
- Personal Trainers - Must hold a Cert IV (Personal Trainer) and have a current first aid qualification. It is preferred PTs are registered with Fitness Australia and have experience in conducting personal training sessions.
- Sports Umpires – We currently run netball competitions, however other sports may be offered in future. We look for people who have a thorough knowledge of the game’s rules who are able to handle difficult players and situations. A certification from a sporting association would be an advantage.
The Customer Experience team includes our front reception staff and other roles including the following:
- Customer Service Assistants - We look for engaging staff who are available a range of varying shift times including early starts, evenings and weekends. As well as dealing with customers face-to-face and over the phone, there are opportunities to gain various skills such as point of sale, cash and EPTPOS reconciliation, facility bookings, stocking of retail items, direct debit transactions and banking procedures. There are no formal qualifications necessary, however you will need to show the three important "p"s of customer service: professionalism, patience and a people first attitude.
- Crèche Assistants – Need to love children, have experience working in a crèche or child care centre and hold a current Working With Children Check. These casual positions are offered weekday mornings and will include craft and other activities, nappy changing and cleaning the areas.
- Cafe Assistants - Preference does go to those who already have barista and hospitality industry training, however this is a great entry level position to gain customer service and food handling experience. We look for people able to work under pressure, an eye for detail to maintain a well-presented environment and those with people skills.
- Other Positions – There are a number of other positions including Finance Officer, Active Places Officers and a range of supervisory roles.
The entry position for Aquatics is a Lifeguard. They are the backbone of the Leisureplexes, overseeing safe use of the pools, attending to first aid and other incidents. To complete the Royal Life Saving Society course to become a Lifeguard, you must first have a current Bronze Medallion and first aid qualification. It is a great role to combine with studies with a range of shift times available.
Experienced Lifeguards can gain a Swimming Pool Operator’s certification which may then lead to further career opportunities such as Duty Officer and other supervisory roles.