While playing the course, you may see these unusual buildings around the 6th, 7th, and 8th fairways.
The buildings were originally part of a secret radar station built during WWII. The two buildings are integral to each other, as one was used as the operations room and the other its support generator room.
According to advice provided by past service personnel, the site previously included timber-framed structures used as living quarters. The remaining structures were required to run the Radar Station, hence their concrete construction.
In 2018 the City and the R.A.A.F. Association of W.A. investigated the history of the station and discovered that the station came into operation on 16 September 1943. It had seven commanding officers, the last being appointed on 1 April 1946.
On 15 November 1996 as part of Australia Remembers 1945 – 1995, then Mayor Lekias attended a small ceremony with veterans at the site and unveiled a plaque which reads:
"These bunkers mark the site of R.A.A.F. Ground Control Interception Radar Station Number 144, operated here from 1943 to 1945.
This plaque has been mounted as part of 'Australia Remembers 1945 - 1995' by the Radar Group of the W.A. R.A.A.F.A. with the assistance of the NSW Radar Branch of the R.A.A.F.A. NSW"
Attendance at the commemorative event included R.A.A.F. ex-personnel who were stationed here during WWII.
The bunkers have since been re-purposed to accommodate local community groups. Scouts have been in occupation from before 1976 and the Girl Guides' use of the small building commenced some years later.
History acknowledgment: City of Canning Heritage Services, whalebackgolf.com.au
Photo acknowledgment: Australia @ War by Peter Dunn (ozatwar.com)