The following information relates to the placement of Election Signs within the City of Canning that should be observed leading up to and post the Election.
Private Land (with landowner consent)
The Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 exempt election signs from requiring development approval where:
- The primary purpose of the sign is for political information in relation to an election.
- The sign is to be removed within 48 hours of the election being held.
- The sign is not to be installed within 1.5 metres of any part of a crossover or street truncation.
City of Canning controlled road reserves
The City’s Local Government Property and Public Places Local Law 2021 exempts election signs from requiring a permit where they are located on a thoroughfare and are:
- erected or placed not more than 28 days before or more than 7 days after the election day.
- no larger than 2m2 in area.
- located at least 30m from any intersection.
- free standing and not fixed to any sign, post, power or light pole, or similar structure
Where signs on City owned or managed land does not meet the criteria stipulated above they may be removed and held for collection.
Signs should not be placed within City Parks or other Public Places unless the land is a polling place. Please note that the placing of signs on Main Roads WA land (major highways and freeways) would be subject to their guidance.