When is an application required?

In areas where reticulated sewerage is not available, onsite disposal of wastewater is required. An Application to construct or install an apparatus for the treatment of sewage in accordance with the Health (Treatment of Sswage and disposal of effluent and liquid waste) Regulations 1974 (external site) must be lodged every time you intend to construct and install an apparatus for on-site wastewater disposal.

Who approves the application?

All applications must be lodged to the City of Canning Environmental Health Services in the first instance. If the proposed apparatus will handle less than 540L/day of wastewater OR the building to be serviced is a single dwelling, the City will process your application.

If the wastewater volume generated is more than 540L/day AND the building being serviced is not a single dwelling the City will assesses your application, prepare a local government report and forward the application to Department of Health WA (DOHWA).

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is. Refer to the application form for the latest fees and payment instructions.

Supplementary information

Only approved wastewater systems can be used in WA. Premises owners who install an unapproved system contravene the Health (Treatment of sewage and disposal of effluent and liquid waste) Regulations 1974 (external site).

The Department of Health WA requires certification for all onsite wastewater treatment systems against the relevant Australian Standards. A list of approved wastewater systems can be found here

extraMile by Integranet