Donating used clothing and household goods supports charity activities that benefit the entire community.
When using charity bins, please be mindful:
- Always put your donation in the bin and not on the ground, as it is illegal to dump goods around charity bins.
- Check to see which goods are accepted in the donation bins for recycling.
- Let the relevant organisation know if you see a bin littered or vandalised so they can clean it up. Phone numbers are provided on the sides of the bins.
All charities accept donations at their stores, and some charities provide free home collections. Please visit your preferred charity’s website to find out how you can donate.
Approval for charity bin
If putting a charity bin on City land or in a public place, then you must have written consent from the City, as per Regulation 6 of the Local Government (Uniform Local Provisions) Regulations 1996.
Requests can be lodged to the City by downloading and completing the application form (PDF 800KB). Please also provide:
- a site plan showing the location of the bin
- the preferred duration
- public liability insurance
- proposed maintenance plan.
Bins of commercial operators will not be approved.
For further information, contact our Environmental Health and Compliance team on 1300 422 664.