Use of Recycled Construction and Demolition Material in Road Construction Projects
The City of Canning is committed to sustainable waste management. We also foster the development of innovative solutions for new road construction materials. Since 2008, and following a significant amount of research and testing, the City has been using recycled construction and demolition products almost exclusively in the construction of roads.
The City is working with partners in the community, and with the Department of Environment Regulation, to continue to use these materials as a first preference for as long as the material is available.
Benefits in using the recycled materials include:
- Recycled product gains considerable strength with curing and becomes very much stronger than conventional base materials.
- Significant cost savings compared with traditional quarried materials.
- Savings in transportation costs and associated greenhouse gas emissions.
- Diversion of materials from landfill.
- Use of materials that do not require extraction from the environment.
For more information on the use of recycled construction and demolition products, please refer to the following documents: