The City is here to help you keep your home safe and secure.

By introducing simple security precautions, you can take an active role in reducing crime and help to keep your home and community safe.

Security Incentive Scheme

Applications are now open for the Security Incentive Scheme – Round 5. Download the application form (PDF 2MB).

Are you a Canning resident and wish to install or upgrade your home security items? You could be eligible for a rebate from the City of Canning.

The rebates are provided on a first come, first serve basis. We cannot guarantee that your application will be approved if funds are expended.

Read the full Round 4 Evaluation report (PDF 560KB).

Can I buy and install my security items myself?

The City recommends a licensed professional installs your security items.

However, you may buy and install your items yourself with the exclusion of any hard-wired electrical items. A registered electrician must install devices requiring hard-wired electrical supply, including sensor lights.

What happens if my security items cost less than the rebate amount listed?

Rebates are paid up to the maximum amount listed on your application form.

Should you buy an item that falls below the rebate amount listed, only the cost of your item will be rebated. For example, the maximum rebate listed for a home intruder alarm is $200, but if yours costs $90, only $90 will be rebated.

Am I guaranteed a rebate?

No, rebates are offered to those who apply first. We cannot accept your application after the rebates have been expended.

What is the maximum rebate?

The maximum rebate amount is $200.00 per household, per financial year.

If you have a valid Pensioner Concession, Healthcare or WA Seniors Card, the maximum rebate is $300.00 per household, per financial year.

Can I claim more than once?

No, Residents/Property Owners are only entitled to make one application per financial year.

If you want to install multiple items these must be submitted on one application.

Can different people in my household apply for a rebate?

No, only one rebate can be claimed per household.

Can I apply for a rebate for security items I bought for my business?

No, the Security Incentives Scheme only provides rebates for items installed at your home.

I wish to buy security items for someone who lives in another city. Can I claim the rebate on this?

No, rebates are only offered for residents who are installing security items at a City of Canning residence.

How do I get my rebate?

Your rebate will be paid into the bank account you nominated on your application form. Please note that we cannot process your rebate without a copy of your bank statement header, which includes:

  • Account Holder Name
  • BSB
  • Account Number of your nominated account.

Do I need to register my CCTV system with the police?

It is not mandatory to register your home CCTV with police, but the City recommends that you do.

Cam-Map is a secured database operated by the Western Australian Police Force. It contains all voluntarily registered CCTV systems across WA.


The city has developed a number of resources offering helpful tips and information to help you improve the safety of your home.

Holiday Watch Patrol

In the excitement and rush to organise your holiday, home security can easily be forgotten. To assist residents, the City offers a holiday watch patrol at no extra cost.

Residents who register will have their property patrolled while they are away. To register, submit a request online or call 1300 422 664.

Cam-Map WA

Cam-Map WA is a secured database operated by the Western Australian Police Force containing all voluntarily registered CCTV systems across Western Australia.

Knowing where active CCTV systems are in your area will assist WA Police to investigate incidents in order to improve community safety, solve crimes more effectively, or locate missing people sooner.

Register your CCTV system.

Neighbourhood Watch

Neighbourhood Watch is a community safety awareness program which aims to:

  • Prevent crime by encouraging neighbours to recognise and report suspicious activity.
  • Reduce theft from motor vehicles by reminding others to remove valuables from their car.
  • Encourage people to make their homes less inviting for opportunistic crime and protect their property.

It can be as simple as getting to know your neighbours and exchanging contact information. Neighbours are your most valuable security asset. They can keep an eye on your property and report any suspicious behaviour.

A police officer on patrol may not know what is normal in your street and may not recognise a stranger in your yard. You and your neighbours are in the best position to notice when something unusual is happening.

Check out the video below to learn more about the City of Canning’s Neighbourhood Watch group.

Supporting Neighbourhood Watch doesn’t mean having to volunteer. You can be a part by:

  • Getting to know your neighbours. Wave, introduce yourself, or offer help to your neighbours. We’ve created a Safer Neighbourhoods card to help get you started.
  • Reporting suspicious behaviour and criminal activity to Police on 131 444.
  • Reporting non-urgent criminal activity to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online.
  • Subscribing to receive the City’s In Focus eNewsletter to hear what’s happening in Canning.
  • Displaying Neighbourhood Watch stickers to help deter would-be thieves.

If you would like to become a volunteer, please contact the Neighbourhood Watch State Office:

To learn more, please contact us on 1300 422 664.

extraMile by Integranet