• Contact Us
  • Business News

Flying drones

Australia's recreational drone safety rules have been in place since 2002 and are designed to protect people in the air and on the ground.

If you plan to fly a drone within the City of Canning please refer to the FAQs below, visit the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) website or the Know Your Drone website.

If you have a complaint regarding the use of drones, you can report it to CASA.

Frequently asked questions

You do not need approval from the City to fly a drone within the Canning district, however CASA Guidelines restrict drone use to certain areas.

The City does not require payment.


CASA Guidelines restrict drone use to certain areas. For more information visit the CASA website.

It should also be noted that parts of the Canning district fall within the Development Control Area of the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA).

Drones cannot be used in the Development Control Area, without approval from the DBCA. Please consult the Development Control Area map.

Enquiries regarding drone use in the Development Control Area should be referred to the DBCA on 9219 9000 (8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday) or enquiries@dbca.wa.gov.au.

Download the application form for drone use in the Development Control Area.

CASA guidelines require that drones or similar devices must be operated:

  • During the day.
  • Within visual line of sight (this means being able to see the aircraft with your own eyes rather than through a device) at all times.
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400ft) above the ground.
  • You must keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people.
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include beaches, parks, events, or sport ovals where there is a game in progress.
  • You must only fly one RPA at a time.

For more information visit the CASA website.

The exclusive rights to areas including parks and reserves will not be given for the purpose of flying a drone. The City cannot guarantee that the area you want to fly your drone will be available.

Anyone is eligible to fly a drone, but you must have approval from CASA depending on the circumstances. If the drone weighs less than 2kg and is not above 120 metres (400ft) then no approval is required by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

The Federal Government has passed legislation which allows a person to operate a drone (that is weighing less than 2 kg) without certification from CASA.

Yes, you can subject to CASA regulations. For more information, please contact CASA on 131 757.

Flying commercially or for economic gain is illegal, unless you have your remote pilot licence or are flying in the sub-2kg category.

Please contact Civil Aviation Safety Authority on 131 757 for more information.

There are potential privacy issues in operating drones.

Concerns regarding privacy issues associated with drone use should be referred to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner in the first instance on 1300 363 992 or enquiries@oaic.gov.au

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!