The information below is based on the 2019/20 financial year. 

What are the average 2019/20 rate changes?

Average residential rates and charges are summarised in the table below;

Average Residential 2018-2019 2019-2020 $ change % change
Average Gross Rental Value $23,000 $23,000 - -
Rate in the $ $0.04537 $0.046646 $0.001276 2.8
Waste $374.00 $381.50 $7.50 2.0
Security $55.50 $56.30 $0.80 1.4
Rates $1,043.51 $1,072.86 $29.35 2.8
Total Average Rates + Charges $1,473.01 $1,510.66 $37.65 2.5
Emergency Services Levy $333.18 $341.30 $8.12 2.4
Minimum Rates $800.00 $852 $52.00 6.5
  • (1) Gross Rental Values (GRV) - Are the basis for rating, independently determined by the Valuer Generals Office.
  • (2) Waste - $7.50 increase. Maintaining a high comparative level of service.
  • (3) Security - .80 cent increase. 
  • (4) Rates - a differential rating system was introduced 2018/19. Rates are now divided into three categories; Residential / Non-residential / Unimproved.
  • (5) Emergency Services Levy (ESL) - 3.5% increase - The ESL is a State imposed charge collected by the City of Canning. The City has no control over the increase or charging of this levy. For more information about this charge, please call 1300 136 099 or visit
  • (6) Minimum - Consistent minimum rates charge across all differential categories.
The City's 2019-20 Annual Budget Presentation to Council is available here.

What are Differential Rates?

Last year the City introduced Differential Rating whereby a separate rate in the dollar is applied to different uses or categories of land. This is considered to be a fairer distribution of costs across property types by enabling the City to vary the impact of rates on different categories of land to ensure an equitable contribution of the rating burden.

In previous years, the City has charged the same rate in the dollar for all rateable properties. This is the second consecutive year the City's rating will be based on 'Land use' and 'Improved' or 'Un-improved' land.

A separate rate in the dollar will be charged for the following three (3) categories:


Rate in Dollar:

Residential (Improved land)


Non-residential (Commercial & Industrial)


Unimproved Land



How are my rates calculated?

  • Rates are calculated by multiplying a property’s Gross Rental Value (GRV) by the rate in the dollar set by the City Council. Please see above table for the 2019/20 rate in the dollars. These amounts are subject to a minimum payment which is also set each year by the Council. The 2019/20 minimum rate is $852.
  • Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the fair rental value of your property, as determined by the Valuer General’s Office (part of Landgate) and is an estimate of how much you could expect to receive if you were to rent your property.
  • Each property is individually assessed by the Valuer Generals Office once every three years, to determine its GRV.  2020/21 is the next revaluation year. Where a property is vacant, the GRV is calculated as 3 per cent of the market value of the land.

Gross Rental Value = The yearly rent the property would be expected to receive if rented. The City of Canning then sets the Rate in the Dollar that it will charge to maintain the City’s services. Rate in the Dollar = The rates charged per dollar of Gross Rental Value. A combination of the two will result in your rates charges. The rate in the dollar is shown in the top right hand corner of your rate notice.

How does this compare with other Councils?

The ratepayers in Canning pay lower rates than many other local governments.

Why do I pay my rates? What do I get for it?

Your rates pay for the maintenance of roads, parks and playgrounds, rubbish collection, community events, libraries and all of the amazing services they provide, preserving the natural environment and a wide range of other services.


Payment Options

  • Option One: Payment in full by 11 October 2019
  • Option Two: Four Instalments (Instalment interest of 3.25% applies)

Instalment 1 – Due 11 October 2019

Instalment 2 - Due 13 December 2019

Instalment 3 – Due 14 February 2020

Instalment 4 – Due 17 April 2020

*Please note that interest will be charged daily at the annual rate of 10% on outstanding amounts. ESL interest will also be charged daily at the annual rate of 11%. Eligible pensioners and seniors are exempt from both of these charges.

Can I make a special payment arrangement with the City?

If you are unable to pay your rates instalments due to financial hardship, you can apply to the City for a special arrangement. However a late payment interest charge of 10 per cent will accrue daily on the balance of the overdue account until it is fully paid.

Payment Methods

How can I pay my Rates?

  • Pay by BPay using Biller Code 49007 and your assessment number as the reference number.
  • Pay in Person at Australia Post Offices in Western Australia.
  • Pay by Credit or Debit Card, in person at the City administration building, by telephoning 1300 963 103 or pay online.
  • Pay by Mail directly to the City at Locked Bag 80, Welshpool DC WA 6986.
  • Pay in Person at Council 1317 Albany Highway Cannington during office hours.

Please note that a surcharge of 0.60% applies to all rate payments made by credit card and 0.40% applies to all rate payments made by debit card by telephone, via our website and in person at the City Administration Building (surcharges do not apply to eftpos transactions made from your cheque or savings account). Payments made at Australia Post will incur an over the counter transaction fee of $2.29 plus a surcharge of 0.61% on all credit and debit card payments where applicable.

What should I do if I change my address or my mailing address is incorrect?

Please advise us promptly to update any postal or contact details by contacting our call centre on 1300 422 664 during office hours Monday to Friday; or email

What should I do if I have sold my property?

When a person sells or disposes of land, the owner or agent must advise the City in writing within 21 days of the change in ownership, giving full details of the purchaser and the date of the transfer of land.

Can I appeal my property’s valuation?

If you feel the valuation applied to your property is incorrect, you can lodge an objection with the Valuer General’s office within 60 days of the issue of your rates notice. This process is only for objections to the GRV allocated to a property by the State Government and not the rate in the dollar. The City of Canning is not authorised to alter property valuations except on the advice of the Valuer General’s office. For further information please contact the Valuer General’s office via or phone 08 9273 7373.

What is a specified area rate and who pays it?

A specified area rate applies to properties in a designated area within the City. Owners in Canning Vale pay a special rate to cover the costs of additional landscaping services which is listed as an additional item on the rate notice. The same GRV used for calculating rates is applied to this rate to calculate the specified area rate payable. The City is required to use the money from specified area rates for the purpose for which the rate is imposed and in the financial year in which it is imposed.

What happens to my rates if I build a new house, an addition, demolition or a pool?

When there are changes to your property that affects the gross rental valuation, the City receives advice of the new valuation and an effective date for that valuation from the Valuer General. We will then issue an interim rate notice reflecting the adjustment. Examples of where a valuation would be amended include: - a new building has been built - a pool has been installed - a new room has been added - a property, or part of, has been demolished The City usually receives interim valuations from the Valuer General within one to two months of the change to the property.

What about rubbish, pool inspection, underground power charges and security service charges?

These are flat rate charges dependent on the services provided to individual properties and are not affected by your GRV.

Do I pay GST on my rates assessment?

GST is not payable on general rates, the emergency services levy, underground power charges or domestic rubbish collection charges. GST is only payable on additional commercial rubbish charges and will be identified on applicable rate notices.

What is a pool inspection fee?

Pool owners are advised that State Government legislation requires all private swimming pool enclosures to be inspected at least every four years. The City’s fee for this will be charged at $38.60 per annum for each registered pool enclosure. The City no longer applies a 50% reduced levy to eligible pensioners and seniors. This annual fee is designed to recover the cost of all inspections over a four year inspection cycle. All pool owners are encouraged to properly maintain their pool enclosures in the interests of safety.

What’s the security service charge?

The City of Canning provides a 24-hour security service with four vehicles on patrol. We provide a service in-house to keep costs down. When notified, we can check on suspicious behaviour and can have our patrols monitor your property while you're on holiday. Our after-hours call centre has been improved so you can speak directly to local operators 24 hours a day. The security charge of $56.50 applies to all properties and/or occupiers of land located within the City of Canning. It is a fixed fee as part of your rates and is listed separately to clearly identify the cost to provide the service.

What is the minimum rate?

The 2019/20 minimum rate is $852.

Pensioner/Senior Concessions

Who is eligible for concession?

Concessions apply to current rates, the emergency services levy and where applicable underground service charges. It does not apply to any service charges which must be paid in full by the date shown on your notice. Concessions are subject to capped amounts set by the State Government annually. Eligibility provisions for any person seeking to register for rates concessions are: - Must be an owner AND occupier of an improved rateable property at 1 July or earlier. - If a pensioner, either must receive a pension AND hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card OR hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. - If a senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.

Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25 per cent, subject to a maximum amount. The option of deferment is not available. If you are not registered as an eligible pensioner or senior, and feel that you may be eligible, please contact the Water Authority on 131 385. A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to pensioners and seniors who become eligible after 1 July. If your circumstances change- particularly with respect to your ownership or occupation of the property, or your eligibility as a pensioner or senior-you MUST give notice immediately to the Council so that the registration may be amended or cancelled.

  • eRates - Register to receive your rate notices by email here.
  • BPayView. Register with your banking provider. More information can be found here.
extraMile by Integranet