The City of Canning conducts two verge side collections for bulk household waste and two collections for bulk garden organics per year.
Bulk Household Waste
Please think of your neighbours and do not place your bulk waste on the verge more than two days prior to your scheduled collection date, as material left on the verge can be unsightly or hazardous in some instances.
Please ensure that all bulk waste is placed on the verge as per the diagram below by 6am on the Monday of the commencement date, as late piles will not be collected.
Only the following material will be removed:
- Furniture and furnishings
- Bulk household items (items that are too large to fit into your wheelie bin)
- Pile volumes of no more than 6 cubic metres (m3). If your pile exceeds our maximum volume of 6m3, your excess waste may be collected for a charge. Please contact Customer Service before your scheduled collection on 1300 422 664 to arrange pre-payment.
The following will not be removed:
- White goods such as fridges, freezers, dishwashers, ovens, washing machines and air conditioning units
- Bricks, rubble, concrete, sand or other building waste
- Liquids of any kind, such as paint
- Gas bottles of any size
- Motor vehicles parts including tyres
- Any asbestos containing material
- Plate glass, such as windows and shower screens and outdoor furniture containing glass
- Green waste
*** Please note: White goods are no longer included as part of the bulk waste verge collection. For information regarding our on demand white goods collection service, please click here
Bulk Garden Organics
Please think of your neighbours and do not place bulk garden organics material on the verge more than seven days prior to the commencement date.
Please ensure that all garden organics material is placed on the verge as per the diagram below by 6am on the Monday of the commencement date, as late piles will not be collected.
Only garden organics material that complies with the following will be removed:
- Individual garden organic material should not exceed 1.5m in length nor weigh more than 16kg
- Individual garden organic material to be less than 150mm in diameter
- Maximum pile volume of 6 cubic metres (m3) applies (refer diagram below)
- Stacked garden organics materials that are placed neatly on the street verge with the cut ends facing the street and the end with the leaves facing the property (refer above diagram).
The following will not be removed:
- Lawn and weed sods, stumps or tree roots.
- Oversized material (see limits above). If your pile exceeds our maximum volume of 6m3, your excess waste may be collected for a charge. Please contact Customer Service before your scheduled collection on 1300 422 664 to arrange pre-payment.
- Bulk household waste.
- Garden organic materials that are contaminated with other items such as plastic, metal or other materials.
- Bags, boxes or bales of green waste.
General conditions for verge collection:
- Any waste left on the verge outside collection dates must be removed immediately or a litter infringement notice may be issued.
- Please do not obstruct or obscure essential services such as fire hydrants, telecommunications, sewer or stormwater access, electrical transformers or power domes.
- Ensure the footpath is free to use.
- Please do not place material on vacant properties or land, public places, reserves, parks or their verges. Such action is an offence and may incur an infringement.
- The items will be loaded by machinery, therefore in order to avoid damage caused by the loader, please do not conceal items or place material on top of easily damaged items such as sprinklers or against fences.
For more information, please contact the City on 1300 422 664 during the business hours of 8.15am and 4.30pm.
Donate your unwanted goods to charity
To find out more information on how and where to donate unwanted goods to local charity shops, visit Giv.org.