• Contact Us
  • Business News

Welfare Evacuation Centres

In the event of an emergency, the City of Canning has designated welfare evacuation centres.

Planning can prevent and minimise loss to human life, wildlife, environment, and property. The City of Canning has strategic plans in place to safeguard our community and your welfare.

The Emergency Management Act 2005 appoints the Department of Communities as the support agency responsible for emergency accommodation. The decision to activate a welfare evacuation centre will be on advice of the Incident Controller, in consultation with the Department of Communities and the City of Canning.

Where are the Welfare Evacuation Centres?

If you need to evacuate, first seek shelter with family or friends. If you are unable to, then please use a Welfare Evacuation Centre.

The Department of Communities is responsible for the opening and management of an evacuation centre. The location will depend on the nature and extent of the incident.

Centre details will be available through radio, television, the Emergency WA website, and the City’s website and Facebook.

The facilities listed below have been nominated as potential welfare centres in an emergency:

  • Cannington Leisureplex – Corner Wharf Road and Railway Parade, Cannington
  • Riverton Leisureplex – Corner Riley Drive and High Road, Riverton
  • Bentley Community Hall – Corner Nyamup Way and Hedley Street, Bentley
  • Lynwood Wandarah Hall – Edgeware Street, Lynwood

How can I receive emergency information?

A critical part of managing an emergency is being able to communicate with our residents. It is important that residents know how to receive alerts and updates immediately during an incident.

Radio is the best communication tool to provide you with immediate information. Listen to your ABC local radio station for emergency updates. ABC radio will play emergency warnings at regular intervals until the emergency is over.

You can tune into ABC local radio 720 or find your ABC frequency online. The City will also relay public information messages via its website and Facebook.

Visit the Emergency WA website to view real time information and current alerts and warnings. The website updates on fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, cyclones, or hazardous material incidents.

Pets in emergencies

We need to prepare for the safety of our pets in times of emergencies and natural disasters.

Pets need their owners to keep them safe in an emergency. You must plan and prepare for the safety of your pets, livestock, or other farm animals before a potential natural disaster affects you.

More information:

Community Safety Trailer

The City’s Community Safety Trailer provides support to residents and their pets during a community evacuation.

In the event of a community evacuation, the trailer is set-up on the grounds connecting to a Welfare Evacuation Centre. The trailer includes a range of animal supplies and enables animals to receive basic emergency care.

Owners must accompany their pets. Pets will only be admitted onto the grounds connecting to a welfare centre, they are not allowed within the centre itself. Assistance animals are accepted.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!