Little Street Libraries aim to promote literacy, build a sense of community, and endorse reading.
The ‘Little Street Library’ is a simple book swap – they are filled with books so that anyone can stop by and collect a book or two and replace the ones they take with other books. Little Street Library book exchanges function on an honour system; everyone contributes to ensure there are always quality books inside.
They are accessible from the street and are an invitation to share the joys of reading with your community. The City supports the installation of little free libraries on private land, as they encourage an interest in reading by making books more accessible in different locations in the community.
If you are thinking about hosting a Little Street Library, here’s some websites to tell you more about the idea and plans for building your own Little Street Library:
For more iformation about installing a Little Street Library on your property, read the can be found Little Street Libraries Planning Information Sheet.
Are you a Canning resident and have added a new Little Street Library to your property? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can add your Little Street Library location to our page and help others find you.
Little Street Library Locations
- Canning Vale – 5 Quenda Drive
- Canning Vale – 14 Mount Park Way
- Cannington – Anglican Parish 46 George Way
- Ferndale – 10 Bubara Way
- Ferndale – 10a Glinis Court
- Lynwood – Fulman Way and Queensville Avenue
- Queens Park – Maniana Park Community Facility
- Riverton – Fern Park Playground
- Rossmoyne – Rossmoyne Park Playgroup (near Kindy)
- Willetton – Rostrata Family Centre
- Willetton – Willetton Community Garden (Prendwick Reserve)
- Wilson – 83 Armstrong Road
Visit a Little Street Library near you
To report damage of a Little Street Library, please contact 1300 422 664.
Health and safety measures
Little Street Libraries remain a community-run initiative. Canning Libraries encourage you to be mindful and follow COVID-19 safe handling practices at all times.